Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Trying the Topspin Serve

Last night, it was supposed to be in the mid 40s, which I thought would be pretty reasonable. Chilly, but not crazy cold. It was pretty much that. Chilly, but not crazy cold.

I had been looking at YouTube videos on how to this the topspin serve and was eager to try it out. I need a bit more practice, but I found that I wasn't getting that much pace, which may be a result of either falling back on old habits, or that topspin serves are just not hit that hard.

One thing I was able to do better was to hit the serve while pronating the arm, but I can't consistently get the spin and trajectory right. That's what practice is for.

I should go back and try to hit the serve by "throwing" the racquet, since that was giving me better pace, and alternate back and forth with this topspin serve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never been able to get the hang of it... I just can't comfortably grip the racket in a way that allows me to brush across the ball from left to right. Right to left I can do, but it's useless. Good luck.