Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Backpacks

I've had backpacks for as long as I can remember, and I've been upset at many of them for as long as I can remember.

Initially, I wasn't happy with them because they didn't carry enough. The average backpack manufacturer assumes that a person might carry two or three books tops. I wanted to carry four or five books, and notebooks, and it would weigh 20 pounds or more.

Lately, I want to have a backpack for gym purposes, but I want one pocket large enough to hold shoes, and another one large enough for other stuff, like towels, gym clothes, etc. This would be still be pretty large, but I haven't found anything like that.

Sadly, this leads to another pet peeve. We buy stuff before we can properly use it. Sure, we can return it, but it can be a pain. And sometimes, we can't return it.

I can't tell you how many things I've bought that I don't use because the moment I tried it out, I realized it wasn't any good. If I could only have found out at the store, I wouldn't have even bothered.

I think the lesson I've learned, at least when it comes to backpacks is: see it before you buy it. I bought one based on a good review, and the sucker is tiny. I think it can serve my needs, but it isn't ideal.

One day, I think, they'll let people do some of the design on their own before buying it, much like people do with PCs, and that day will be revolutionary.

No comments: