Sunday, June 24, 2007

Review: Domku

When you go to certain parts of DC, you start to see a greater prevalence of metal fences, for lack of a better word, that people use to block windows and doors from vandals that might break in. Such neighborhoods see more than their share of crime.

Domku is situated in such a neighborhood, but at least, it's not the kind of warzone that some cities (East St. Louis, I'm told) have become. The buildings seem bright. Domku is located in neighborhoods with churches, Carribean food, an Ethiopian place. Indeed, it appears wedged between a liquor store on one side, and some religious building on another. Just beside that is someone's residence.

It seems rather out of place in this neighborhood. From its modern font design, to its coffeehouse-like interiors, with branches decorating the walls, conveying almost a shrine of nature worship. You see a strange melange of architectural ideas. Chandeliers with several bulbs out. Long couches that seem second or third hand.

It reminds me of College Perk, but with a bit more space, a bit more class.

The place serves Scandinavian/East European food. Since I was there around lunch time, and since they have brunch on the weekends, and since I like breakfast food, I had two of their offerings. One was a thin pancake, with onions and some kind of sausage. The other was a dish made with grits, cheese, and an egg--some kind of a bake.

What I liked about Domku is the portions aren't too large. I had the equivalent of two dishes, and still, I wasn't that full. I wasn't stuffed, which I'm starting to believe is the key to eating. I also had a Pom Fizz, which is pomegranate juice, champagne and something else. Not too bad. A variation on the mimosa. (Friday, I had a Chambord margarita. I discovered that, from my mimosa making adventure, that Chambord is a make of raspberry liquer, so at least I knew what a "Chambord" magarita was).

I've read that Domku is owned by an Asian American, its cook, African American, and its food, Scandinavian. I believe I saw the owner, a woman wearing pig tails, with mostly unaccented English. The patrons seemed sparse. The prices are a touch high, so I wonder if this artsy restaurant might not exactly be "right" for its neighborhood, though I'm sure the prices of renting are far cheaper. I had overheard someone who had wanted to give the place a try for a while, and arrived there.

The patrons, what few were there, was a good mix. One group was African American. One group appeared to be Latino. The other one was white.

As I entered, a little girl, sitting at the bar asked one of the waiters if they knew who I was (clearly not, since I had never been there before, though with low probability, I could have known them in some other context). The waiter, who found the question amusing (surely, he knows almost none of his guests) said she was right, he did not know who I was.

It's worth giving this place a try. It's a bit different, and I didn't try the gravlax, which is cured salmon, often used in appetizers, but presumably worth trying at a Scandinavian place. They also had Swedish meatballs. I also didn't try that.

The waiters seemed nice enough. I learned that it's really wDomku which means "a little house" in some language, the "w" being pronounced something like an "f". They had been open a little over two years.

It's pleasant place to try out, even if it's a touch of a hike to get to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Tea Leaves,

wDomku is Polish for 'in the little house.'

The pancake you had was the pancake with kielbasa and onion...and the bake with the grits, that was the grits bake that they serve and is one of my favorite items.

The woman who owns the place should have unaccented English, dear, because she was raised in Missouri.

Usually, brunch can be quite busy, usually between 50-70 people, and the Friday/Saturday night crowds tend to be large and diverse (in age, race, etc)

It is a wonderful neighborhood place to go and drink coffee, meet neighbors (several regulars there are Petworth resident) and have a drink with friends.