Sunday, June 03, 2007

Followup: Mimosa

I've never made a mimosa before. It would have been easy to get snacks or beers. Some chose to take the next level, making desserts or fruit salad. Indeed, getting the ingredients for a mimosa should have been simple.

But, no.

I had to go up to Corridor Fine Wines and Spirits, which Google Maps gave incorrect directions for (it's possible Corridor has their directions wrong), adding twenty minutes to a twenty minute trip (then I ate, then looked around). I left at about 11:30, and thought I'd be back by 12:30, but it was more like 1:00. I ended up staying at my house for another half hour, then off to Ikea to get cups.

I still needed orange juice, and I wanted to get these pour spout things that bartenders have. That was a bit of a mistake. I knew a liquor store in Rockville that I thought would have it. Alas, they only served liquor and beer. No knick-knacks. They suggested I go to Target. There's a huge Target there, but again, no real luck.

So I went to Giant to get the juice, and again, no luck in finding the spout thingy.

As I was driving on Rockville Pike, I saw Whole Foods, so I tried looking in there. Nope. Then, I eyed The Container Store. Surely, they had it. Right now, the time is around 4:10. The party started at 3:30. I have champagne and raspberry liqeur in the freezer at work. I'm a little concerned it will freeze and shatter, though I figured it was alcohol, which has a lower freezing temperature than water, and so it shouldn't really freeze. Even so, an hour and a half might get there.

I get back to the office, and fortunately, the drinks are chilled, and dragged it to my car, and headed to the event, which was only 10 minutes away. I arrived a little after 4:30, about an hour after it started.

I ended up drinking about four glasses of mimosa, and three other people drank three more glasses, which means I didn't use up even one of the two bottles of cheap champagne I had.

But I'll say, there's something nicely elegant about the entire set up. Mimosas are easy to make, and the YouTube video at The Art Of The Drink was really quite convenient, because I had a visualization of what to do. It looks far cooler making it, given the ease of making it. Of course, I spent nearly 5 hours running to and fro trying to get all the stuff, and spent a pretty penny too, given all of that.

So for those of you who have a bunch of guests, and don't mind the effort, I highly recommend trying to make mimosas.

I note that I could have made it "fresher" by using freshly squeezed orange juice. I figured it wasn't worth that much effort. I also decided that good champagne wasn't necessary, given the juice would take up much of the flavor. The raspberry was a nice visual touch, though I'm not sure I could easily taste it.

Give it a try if you have the time.

No comments: