Wednesday, June 06, 2007

On Adsense

I have no idea if Adsense is making me money. Likely, no. I don't edit myself much, so what I write can come off as jarring. Do those two sentences go together? Did he just switch tenses?

I also don't stick to any particular topic, so Adsense gets confused. For example, I had a blog talking about running shorts, and another about tennis, so Adsense now gives me entries on tennis shorts. I had two blog entries on Lebron James, and so there is clothing stuff with Lebron.

When I was blogging about Ruby on Rails, I had a bunch of entries on Ruby. I had an entry on mimosa, so there were mimosa recipes.

I have to wonder how well Adsense works. When you read my entries on mimosas, are you ready to go and click on Adsense on mimosas? I mean, literally, every few days, you see the content changing.

And I wonder, much like Schroedinger's poor kitty, and I changing what I write because Adsense is sitting there, analyzing my prose, trying to piece together what I'm writing about (through, presumably little semantic understanding) and get you to buy something?

And why would Blogger care whether I make money this way? I suppose, as bloggers, we're some weird audience that drums up support for advertisers, and advertisers don't care if people buy their product due to TV commercials, radio commercials, print ads, or, well, bloggers.

You know, I read there are millions of blogs out there, even some actively kept up. But given the pigeonhole principle, how many are really read? I mean, I assume I have fewer than ten readers. That's fine by me, although making gobs of cash from blogging would be cool. But I even exhaust those who read my blog because I'm both prodigious in my content, and also rather content-free.

If you read me, you must have lots of time on your hands, and given that I'm not Dave Barry, what the heck are you doing? Don't you have work you could be doing instead of reading what I write?

Blogs, as I've said before, appeal to some because they offer a window into a person, even if the person isn't completely honest, or even if the person isn't completely accurate (they may feel they are honest, but we're all biased about ourselves). Sometimes, you pass by a person, and you don't think that much about the person. Then, you read their blog and you say, gee, that's one f***ked up person. Or, wow, they really think deeper thoughts than I thought they were capable of.

Not every blog is that way. I could read a blog and not know a person was married, had two kids, had an argument that morning with their spouse, spilled coffee on themselves, had to turn back to the house, get changed, got caught in traffic, got late to a meeting, got yelled out by a superior, and had a generally crappy day. Instead, they may tell you about some cool piece of code they wrote, and not air dirty laundry.

Those blogs are good too. Not as exciting. How many people write blogs that read like a bad (or good!) soap opera who totally mismanage their lives and the people they meet? Not too many, I suppose.

Anyway, take that Adsense, try to sell something based on this blog entry!

Beyotch!

(Adding that makes this blog entry humorous, and that's why I did it)

No comments: