Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Fairer Sex

What do you think about sex? If you're perhaps a healthy not too horribly unattractive person, you admit to yourself that, yes, sex is important to you, that as much as you like watching movies, eating dinners out, going out shopping, that sex is kind of a deal-breaker. No sex means no relationship. It's petty, but kind of a biological imperative. You don't try to explain those urges. Indeed, you feel it's your right to claim a little sumthin sumthin.

You may wonder where I'm heading with this.

I have a friend and he said he was possibly getting a new addition to the family. Now, usually when someone says that, well, they probably don't mean a kid. In this case, my friend and his wife planned to get a dog. Now, they already have a dog and a cat. The dog, based on the name, is female. They're not so concerned with the gender of the other dog. One of them they're considering is male. The other is female.

Heck, the ads for the dogs claim one of the dogs is a tad overweight. Who would have thought? And owners, I suppose, try to keep their pets in shape. I suppose that's important.

But the one thing that pet owners generally don't care about is whether their pets are doing the nasty. I know. Such an 80s term. The "nasty". Something rather Janet Jackson about that.

I mean, most owners that get two pets generally worry about the loneliness of the pets. They need friends. But sex partners? A little conjugal visit? Not so much.

Indeed, if pets were to proliferate like proverbial bunnies, the country would be in trouble, overrun by unwanted pets. Thus, many pets are neutered (or I suppose the PC term may be spayed, and the less PC term, snip-snipped).

So how important is sex to the well-being of pets? And is the well-being of pets important? Why do people have pets after all? For their own well-being. So if people wouldn't do without sex, why should pets do without?

I'm sure I don't understand this topic at all, never having been truly a pet owner (I did live with a friend's pet cat once). It just occurred to me today, and I thought I'd raise this issue up with my faithful readers.

No comments: