Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Do The Needful

The British have long had a relationship with India. Initially, it was trade, then a few outposts. By the mid 1800s, the British controlled most of India and would give that up only a century later. In the meanwhile, many Indians learned English of a British variety, but combined with translations from their mother tongue into English. This creates English that is, to American ears, rather bizarre.

The interaction people are likely to have with Indians are with offshoring teams. Perhaps the caste system syncs well with the British class system, or perhaps Indians simply imitate the British English, but it leads to a kind of formalism that is odd.

Let me start off with the phrase that set me off today: please do the needful.

Now, this sounds like, oh I don't know, having sex? Wanking off? (To use a Britishism).

Let met actually put it in context. The better translation, albeit very informal is, "Can you take care of this?". Thus, "The server is down. Please do the needful." is really "The server is down. Can you take care of this?".

Then, there is the phrase "the same" as in "Please find affixed a document. Please comment on the same". The same referring to some previously mentioned item. Now, apparently, the British used to use this phrase "the same" in this context. However, it has fallen out of favor and sounds old-fashioned to a Brit. Nevertheless, it continues to survive to this day in Indian English.

When an Indian is puzzled, he (or she) is likely to say "I have a doubt", but the use of doubt, in this case, means something that is not understood, or is confusing, rather than to question the veracity of something. Thus, you might be reading some software requirements that don't make sense, so you say "I have a doubt" or "Can you clarify my doubt?".

Email is more informal than regular mail, so most people have dispensed with formalities. However, Indians follow a standard based on written mail, and often close their email with "Thanks and Regards" where typical email simply ends with the person's name, if even that.

I suppose the funny thing is that making fun of this would only amuse me. It's the way typical Indians write (from India). Many Indians who come to the US eventually learn to be far more informal, and remove such phrasing from their language.

I am told even a simple question like "How are you?" is typically greeted by "Fine. How are you?". The answer "I'm good" is seen as typically American, and something the average Indian doesn't say.

Now, I should be fair. Americans have their own issues with the English language. The one that I've blogged about is excessive use of superlatives. Thus, when someone does something good (or even satisfactorily), you say "That was awesome!", or even more "This is best thing ever!". Ever is often attached to emphasize just how awesomely great something is. Except it loses its punch because every new shiny thing has this superlative attached.

I have a friend who likes to use "worst pain ever" a little too frequently.

Some of Indian English is pretty much British English, thus, bonnet for hood, trunk for boot, flat for apartment, trousers for pants, indicators for turn signals, and so forth.

I just ordered a book on differences between British and American English (two, in fact). I'd love to see the Indian English version. Alas, Wikipedia will have to do for now.

Oh I forget that the verb "to do" has a slang meaning of "to have sex with", thus to "do the needful" almost sounds like you should "do the needy".

I'm sure there must be some American phrases that drive others crazy. I can already think of adding "ism" and "ize" and "ify", thus verbifying a word is an Americanism to Americanize stuff.

Next time you've forgotten to do something you promised, please read the same, and do the needful.

3 comments:

Chris League said...

One Americanism that an Indian friend pointed out to me: interpretation of the word 'momentarily'. Apparently in British, this means "for a moment", whereas in American it means "in a moment".

So if "the plane will be landing momentarily", the Brit/Indian mind wonders, "will we have a chance to disembark?"

Anonymous said...

I know this is an old posting, but I found it via a google search I was doing, trying to find the origins of [what I suspected to be] Indian English constant use of the phrase "the same."(BTW, it's hard to find the right search terms when you're using a phrase that occurs in different contexts so frequently!) I guessed it had to do with the heavy British influence, and your post seems to bear this out. It only came up for me when evaluating some software recently. Seemingly liberally sprinkled everywhere in this software, from error messages, to template emails they provided, to responses I got from tech support, were instances of "the same," where I (a speaker of American English) and my peers would say "it." Ex: "Your user account does not have permission to that object. So you are not authorized to update the same." It started to drive me crazy, but I feel bad about it because I know it's just a language difference, not character flaws of the creators. I guess it's truly my first time interacting with non-localized-to-American-English software. (How has it taken this long?) :-)
Thanks for your posts; they are interesting to me.
--B.D.

Anonymous said...

After a few years of enjoying the same kind of international English I finally decided to poke some gentle fun at the practice with office shwag and coffee mugs
www.cafepress.com/DoTheNeedfulAndRevert