Monday, July 18, 2005

All's Well

The hardest part that I find about blogging is the ending. The best articles are those who last paragraph and last sentence are emphatic. Yet, I always find myself, deep in the middle of an entry, wondering how on earth I'm going to conclude. Although I blog like crazy, I have yet to discover the answer. Until now.

And it's so obvious! Yet, so uninituitive.

Write the ending first. Figure out the clever ending first, then write the article that leads up to that ending. The person that best epitomizes the clever ending is Garry Trudeau. He's got four frames to get his point across, and the last one's always the kicker, and he often does it with an one-two punch, with a clever observation followed by the clever retort. How he does it time after time, I'll never quite know.

Old habits die hard, because I'm at the end of this entry, trying to come up with a good ending.

Oh, oh, how about this. An American, a Russian, and a Chinese are on a deserted island. American says to the other two "In order to survive, we must each search for supplies. I volunteer to go on the first day". The next day, it was the Russian's turn. On the third day, the American said "Ok, it's now your turn to get supplies". The Chinese man nodded his head and was off. Hours passed and the American and the Russian grew concerned.

They decided something must have happened to the Chinese and started to search for him. As they wandered through the forest, attempting to retrace the path, they eventually came by a large rock. From behind it, the Chinese jumped out and yelled:

"Supplies!"

No comments: