Monday, July 16, 2007

Is it Hot or Not?

I was listening to NPR where some German was extolling the virtues of riesling, which, I believe is a sweet German dessert wine. Someone had asked why it works so well with Asian foods, and the guy replied that riesling had less alcohol and therefore, doesn't cause spicy foods to feel even fierier. If there is such a word.

Normally, I wouldn't have a good opportunity to test a theory, but it came upon me by accident. I had eaten something spicy, can't even quite recall what it was. Then, I was home, the spiciness still with me, when I rinsed my mouth with Listerine, which seems like it has a fair bit of alcohol.

Man, that burned!

So, I conclude that, at least with high enough alcohol, that burning on your tongue can feel even hotter!

No comments: