Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Bed Head

Occasionally, you encounter some ideas, some concepts, so different, so surprising, that it rocks the view you had irrevocably.

And so it was with "beds".

For a long time, perhaps nearly all my life, I equated beds with mattresses. After all, when I want to go to bed, I mean the mattress. I suppose the bed could be technically thought of as the supports, what prevents it from sitting on the ground itself.

When you're cheap, like my parents, the metal framework that supports the box springs is what keeps it off the ground. I remember these things being tall enough for a kid to hide under.

I'm thinking of this because I'd like to purchase a bed, which means, in this case, both a mattress and supports.

The last time I tried to do this was horrendous. I went to a local Mattress Discounters, and it was like going to a car dealer. They wanted me to get a bed that day. I couldn't get out of there soon enough. Pressure tactics from a bed salesman.

I'm not even sure what to get for a bed/mattress. I want it to be queen sized, since I've been using the same twin/full size bed for years. It's fine, just a bit small. I remember spending about 60-70 bucks on a mattress, having it tied to my roof, and using that for a few years. The mattress simply sat on the floor.

Bed advertisers like to tell you that you spend 1/3 of your life in bed, so it's worth spending lots of money on a really good bed. Having said that, if a "cheap" bed feels pretty good to you, why spend more?

I don't know what I'll get, but for now, as long as it's not too pricey, and it feels all right, then I think it will be fine.

No comments: