Saturday, April 12, 2008

On Drills

Tennis is, I imagine, best learn by doing drills. However, as long as I've played, I've almost never played using drills. My sense is that most players find drills boring. They just want to hit the ball.

Getting better at tennis means working a bunch of different situations and knowing how to manage each of those situations.

The reason people don't do drills is because most players aren't good enough to consistently hit their shots to certain spots on the court.

The other key to drills is learning how to feed balls. I've never quite mastered that, and it's one thing I'm trying to learn. I can tell you, it ain't easy. (To feed the ball means to hit the ball to the same spot over and over, so the other person can get some practice hitting shots).

No comments: