Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Supersize Me

A few weeks ago, I was eating at a Mexican restaurant with two of my Indian colleagues. I point out their ethnicity because as we ate, one complained about the very large portion of food he was given. Indeed, he split the dish partly with his friend. From my perspective, it wasn't that much food. It was typical of what you get at a restaurant.

Later, I was eating at a "Red Hot and Blue", and again, the sandwiches two of the guys ate (both Indian, one the same as the one at the Mexican place) was too much. I had eaten my meal, and could have eaten more.

I had to imagine that I was simply used to eating twice as much as Indians were, and thinking that was normal. These guys weren't spectacularly thin, but it made me think that what Americans think of as typical amount of food is indeed, excessive, by world standards. And that they struggle with their waistline has to do with restaurants providing too much food.

No comments: