Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Pins N Needles

I have a collection of CDs somewhere. Through my various moves, I've misplaced them, and I'm hoping to dig them up at some point. Among the CDs I had were from a band named Pinback.

Until recently, I had forgotten this group. Chris, who went to the 930 Club to listen to them reminded me, and so I listened to an album I'm pretty sure I didn't have then, which is Summer in Abaddon, which is pretty pleasant indie pop.

If you listen to enough indie music, you find that many bands sound like one another, slightly quirky enough to prevent it from being complete pop. I suppose such pronouncements make me sound like folks that say all rap sounds the same, but at least, I listen to a fair bit of indie stuff.

This reminds me. I was just at Borders nearby. One of the cashiers was talking to a friend of hers (I presume) about Menomena and Stars. I have both their CDs, but I find it a bit unlistenable, even though, at the time, they sounded pretty cool. Even so, they seem to have struck a resonance with a certain (probably very white) crowd.

Oh, and I went to this wine place in Kentlands, and mentioned to this guy working at a wine place that someone at a Starbuck's had recommended that I try Delirium, a Belgian beer. Surprise. This guy had some on stock. I haven't tried it out yet. It's in this oversized bottle, that holds maybe twice the usual amount. It's interesting how one bumps into folks that have common interests (though I was in a wine store, that also sold beer).

Reminders abound.

No comments: