Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Eye Get It

Occasionally, I'll be reading something at a website, and my eyes won't really focus that well, and it makes me not want to read. Some of it is interest, but some of it is the widescreen display of the text.

Think how difficult it is to track a single line with your eyes all the way across the screen. It's interesting how computers still present text much like print does.

I recall listening to the commentary for resultFinding Nemo. The people in charge noted that although they were not constrained to film it as live-action folks would, they chose to do so anyway.

Similarly, I feel that there might be better ways to display text, and sadly, the one way may simply be to read the text aloud, relieving the eyes from having to track text. This would benefit the visually impaired as well.

For some reason, I find it much easier to track text if I type, and so maybe if text slowly reveals itself, I would find it easier to follow.

Think about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This exists!

Give yourself a half hour to get used to this- you can read much faster than with normal text.

http://trevor.smith.name/EST/indexDown.html