Thursday, February 01, 2007

Spoilerless Reviews

I've struggled with writing movie reviews a long time. I would, of course, conclude that I simply suck at it. My main problem is summarizing the film. This is equivalent of the bad guy in James Bond films monologuing.

One idea I had was to use bullet points. I figured that it would force me to just get ideas down, without the necessity of making it an organic whole. In other words, I could meander more than usual.

But I just read Kevin Smith's top ten, and usually top ten lists get it right. They tell you why you should watch the film (or not, if it were the bottom ten list) in a handful of sentences.

So if you sit down and think of a review as a way to convince someone to watch (or not) a film, that would probably hit much closer to a spoiler-less review. Would you summarize a movie if you were trying to convince someone of a good movie? I think not.

I'll try this on the next movie I see. I don't have high hopes, but we'll see.

No comments: