Saturday, September 17, 2005

Footballer's Wives

There's a British series called Footballer's Wives. I know little of it except that it somewhat resembles Desperate Housewives. I suppose it tells the story of soccer players, their relationship with each other and their wives. The title is good enough for my blog entry which has nothing to do with that show.

Instead, I've always thought it might be interesting to host a show aimed at women who don't like sports, in particular, football, because there are so many rules, and people get hit, and it's hard to keep your eye on the football, with all the deception and trickery.

Such a show would have to get beyond the basics. It can't simply be about field goals and touchdowns. It should get to fine details of the rules, including recently incorporated rules, but also defensive formations. It should discuss 3-4 vs. 4-3. It should talk about West Coast offense, run-n-shoot, what the option is, why the option isn't played in pro ball, what the basic differences between pro and college ball is.

I could easily see this being twenty or thirty episodes long. I'd want to direct or conceptualize this show.

Now, honestly, I don't know that much about football. I know a lot about the people involved in football. I can tell you that Urban Meyer, coach at Utah, is now Florida's new coach. I can tell you that Tennessee was trying out a two quarterback system this year. I can tell you why teams try two quarterbacks, and why teams don't. But, I can't tell you what a cover-2 defense is, nor do I know what run and shoot is, nor why it's disappeared from the game. I do recognize the shotgun, but not why it's good or bad.

I suspect such a show aimed at women would also find many men who don't like sports either, but want to know more about one of the most strategically complex games popularly played.

My friend Jaime, who played football in middle school, is far more knowledgeable about the game, and so such a show wouldn't appeal to him, at least, not right away. He'd like to see deep strategy, or statistics, or something more than a description of what a quarterback does and what a running back does and so forth.

I've looked at some books that are aimed at dummies, trying to teach them football, and to one extent or another, I find them all flawed. Ideally, I'd start teaching the game as only two players, one on offense, and one on defense, then add more, and more players (say the front five on offsense, then five on defense) until we have everyone.

Anyone interested in throwing lots of money and resources on this idea, while I serve as consultant?

No comments: