Sunday, September 25, 2005

D'oh! Nuts!

When I was young, it never occurred to me that I would eat something sweet for breakfast. OK, technically, many cereals are sweet, but I wouldn't think of eating ice cream for breakfast. To be fair, as kids, we didn't have the most conventional breakfasts. Dad would prepare eggs with tomatoes, which was actually pretty good, but then also generic brand chicken soup with hot dogs. I was so used to eating that that I didn't think it was odd until we had guests over who commented how weird it was to have hot dogs for breakfast (but then, some folks like steaks for breakfast, so it shouldn't be that odd).

When I went to college, one of my roommates used to eat Entermann doughnuts for breakfast. I thought that was peculiar. But ever since I've been in grad school, and more in particular, lived close to a Dunkin Donuts, the idea of donuts for breakfast doesn't strike me as unusual. I'd get their breakfast combo---two doughnuts and a medium coffee. The coffee isn't great. It's a bit too sweet (to be fair, I ask for sugar).

This made me think about doughnuts. You see, I don't really really like most doughnuts. Most people who care about doughnuts seem to prefer Krispy Kreme. Krispy Kreme signature doughnuts are glazed with sugar. There's something about sticky sweet doughnuts made fresh that appeals to many. I find them slimy messes. The funny thing is that the doughnuts I enjoy most are the ones sold at Shopper's. They're oversized, and unglazed.

Dave tells me that what I really want is super soft bagels, and that's true. I don't really want the sugary syrup glaze crap on my doughnuts. I want it soft, doughy, with a bit of chocolate.

This made me think of other food products where there's no real pinnacle. For example, ice cream cones. I used to like the plain cones that Dairy Queen would serve it. The sugar cones always seemed kinda burnt tasting to me. Still, lately, I've been getting sugar cones because the other kind is bland, but really, neither cone is all that good.

There are lots of other foods that don't seem to have any outstanding examples. Macaroni and cheese. Spaghetti sauce. Tacos. But mostly, I'd point to doughnuts and ice cream cones.

Given how much care people put in other food items, such as wine, beer, pizza, it's amazing how many other items are pretty ordinary. I've just had a double chocolate doughnut. It was pretty good. I'll just have to live with pretty good.

No comments: