Monday, June 06, 2005

To Blog or Not To Blog?

Based on the title, you might think I'm having second thoughts about blogging. Right at this moment, I don't. I do want to point out a shortcoming of a blogging service. Suppose I want to have an ongoing list of things, for example, great movies I've seen, or something organized by topic like, well, great movies I've seen.

Blogs are set up like diaries, based very much on a calendar system. I want a list of articles that I can collect together. I'm sure it's something like using tracebacks efficiently, that I'm too lazy to look up.

For example, I want to write about my adventures in writing Ruby scripts, which have yet to start. Part of the problem is that I may not work on it regularly, yet I want it collected together. Any solutions?

(Yes, it's a very short post).

1 comment:

krakatoa said...

Most blogging software, with the notable exception of blogger, offer some variation of categories or tagging. This allows users to see all posts on a given subject, and treat that as the blog. Blogger recommends just having multiple top level blogs, but this is somewhat less elegant, especially for posts that fit in multiple categories, or for people who want to keep things centralized. Another solution is to keep a decent site map on your front page, including 'recently updated articles' and 'recommended articles' that link to the post pages that are of interest.