Monday, June 23, 2008

Forehand Woes

I've been trying to retool my forehand for several months now. Ever since I got a camcorder, I've been able to tape my strokes and realize I have a particular hitch. No matter what I do, my body seems convinced it needs to have this hitch. I've tried to come up with all sorts of ideas to deal with it, to very little success.

In particular, I created a weird device made of a tennis elbow brace and shoestrings. That didn't work. I had chairs set up so I could shadow stroke. While I shadow stroke fine, the brain does something different when I have to hit a real ball. I was thinking of putting a large lightweight stick so I could see what I was doing, or a string with a weight on the bottom.

But, I just thought of another idea, which is free, if a bit awkward.

A two-handed forehand. I mean, of the Bartoli, Santoro variety using the non-dominant hand on top (i.e, a crossover forehand). The second hand can prevent the racquet from twisting. I'm looking forward to giving that a try.

No comments: