Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Backhand Blues



Most of the times, I'm happy enough with my forehand. My main complaint is that I don't hit it hard enough. This isn't usually an issue, except on the rare occasion I'm playing someone with a good deal of power.

But my backhand.

I used to hit a one-handed backhand, then I switched to two hands. And I've tried so many variations. I remember reading about the Mats Wilander backhand. Whoever was commenting on it pointed out that it was basically a one-handed backhand with the upper-hand for support.

The above video advocates the opposite. Think of it as an opposite-handed forehand, with the dominant hand for support. Since I'm a rightie, I'd have to imagine a lefty forehand, and use the other hand for support. I think I'm planning to give that a try.

This is really the amazing thing about tennis. There's always someone that has some advice, and something you can try on the court. So next time I'm out there, I'm going to give it a try.

No comments: