Sunday, August 19, 2007

Fall Guy

Summer's nice. People seem happier in the summer. T-shirts replace long sleeves. Shorts replace pants. Sandals replace shoes. Time to put on shades. People head to the beach, to camping.

But summer's hot. Real hot. I like it just as you can tell summer's over. Today seemed just that kind of day. I had woken up early. 5 AM. Watched some TV. Then, I got hungry, so I decided to find a breakfast place. I knew one place, the Silver Diner, on Rockville Pike. But as I drove down, I thought of trying out The Original Pancake House.

A few years ago, I began going to diners, which usually "specialize" in breakfasts. They often have the virtue that they are open around the clock. The Original Pancake House doesn't fit in this category, as it only opens in the morning up to the early afternoon. For that matter, they aren't like Dunkin Donuts or Kripy Kreme or McDonald's or Starbucks which often open at 6, and some of these places, even earlier. They open at 7, which was good enough for me.

And being Sunday, not a work day, and a bit early for church, there were few cars on the road. It was overcast. It was a bit nippy. It felt a bit like a trip I had to San Diego last year, where it was still February, and despite being California, it was still a touch chilly.

Although I don't want every day to be overcast and cool, it's a nice feeling.

A nice feeling indeed.

No comments: