Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Client

I've been in India for about two weeks now. Ah, the mobiles. For some reason, everyone has one. Think about this. Most people fancy that the US is advanced technologically. Yet, many countries have adopted mobiles (which I prefer over the name cell) with far more vigor than the US. Apparently, a far cheaper alternative than landlines, with phone providers willing to provide cheap phones for about probably 40 US dollars. That is kinda expensive in Indian amounts, but still within grasp of many.

But beyond that, what's the social implication?

Suppose you're eating, and you get a call. Do you answer it? American etiquette says this is rude. You should not take the call, so you can pay attention to the guests you are with.

However, so far, this has not been the experience I've seen in India. Most people just pick up the call and answer.

And that's where I hear that word.

"Yes, yes. I am eating lunch with the client."

The client? Is this a legal firm? Where's John Grisham? Who's this client? What? It's me. Ah, yes, I'm the client.

But who are they? They are the? Uh. I'm not sure what they're supposed to be called.

But it makes me think of those old-fashioned meetings, you know, the three martini lunches where business, of sorts, was done under an acceptable form of bribery. Alcohol.

There's not much of that happening in India, which, while not a Muslim country, tends to look unfavorably towards alcohol.

Well, I must head off to see my...peeps.

No comments: