Sunday, April 09, 2006

Take Me Out

This is not about the play Take Me Out, which I've blogged about. It is, however, about baseball, (unlike Take Me Out which is really more about baseball fandom, than really saying something meaningful about baseball).

Of all the major sports (though many call baseball, a pasttime), I like baseball the least. The only time I care to watch it is during playoffs, and even then, I don't really follow it. I follow hockey even less, because I both like it less, and I would need cable to see it at all.

So why blog about baseball? I'm not really. I'm blogging about ballbug.com, which is basically the memeorandum engine pointed at baseball blogs. I had suggested, a long time ago, to Gabe that it would be interesting to use what he does with sports. Now, Gabe isn't much of a sports person, not enough that he'd actually take time to really watch sports. But when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I mean, Gabe doesn't care that much about the entertainment industry either, I'd imagine. Even so, he has wesmirch.com.

Now I'd like to tell you that I found out about his new site because of the link on his main memeorandum page, but that's not how I did it.

Recently, I went to see cherry blossoms with Jay. I brought my camera, and took some pix. Jay kept bugging me to get him the photos. I already had a flickr account that I wasn't using and I just got the Flickr Hacks book from ETECH, so I thought I should try to figure out how to upload stuff to Flickr once again. Initially, I thought of it as a minor pain. But once I went through the steps again, it seemed a lot easier.

I remember Brett Kiefer (of Fog Creek) had asked the lunch table, way back at ETECH, whether anyone was actually tagging. None of us said yes. However, now that I put up some photos, I decided to do some tagging. I'll say, if you have enough photos, it's incredibly tedious, even with all the tools available to make it quick and dirty.

As I was checking this out, I decided to look up Gabe. For as much as Gabe can't seem to stand having his picture on all of Flickrdom, his picture and tag is there a lot. And in particular, there's now a screenshot of the baseball logo for his new memeorandum site.

That has to be the most indirect way of figuring out the new site. Alas, I'm more of a tennis guy, and so I won't be visiting it too much. As usual, Gabe has it Ajax'ed out. No webpage changes for him, no sirree Bob.

I also used the Flickr Exporter plugin to IPhoto. I'll say it's not quite what I had hoped for. It does the job, but the photos are too small, and I don't know why the images I get are much smaller than the 800 by 600 photos I specified. Amazingly enough, there's nearly no documentation on how to use the thing. Annoying, I must say.

All the same, I have a gazillion photos I should upload at some point, so I'll try to get to that in the next few weeks.

No comments: