Sunday, February 08, 2009

Dental Plan



David after Dentist is one of those viral videos that you wonder about. This video had 6 million hits in less than a week. Indeed, the SNL video, Jizz in my Pants had fewer hits in the same amount of time, and they had the virtue of HD, advertising on SNL, and high production values.

How did this video, about a kid that was a bit drugged up from the dentist, being spaced out, and the friendly dad who tells the kid not to touch his stitches and wonders if the drugs are making him "feel good" get so popular?

Does it go to show that emailing friends clever videos is still the number 1 way that material is sent virally? I rarely get friends who mail me jokes or mail me links or stories. I feel I'm quite the exception. This is exactly the kind of email most people like to send.

We're likely to see such viral videos again and again. And wonder what is it about these videos that touch so many people?

No comments: