Sunday, September 10, 2006

Music and Reading Books

I'm one of those guys who can listen to music with words while reading a book. I don't listen to the words, so I'm good. It's interesting to listen to music while reading a good book, because the two tie together in odd ways.

I remember reading one of the Ender books while listening to From Senegal to Setesdal, a collaboration of a Norwegian folk singer and West African musicians (the second CD I ever owned, after the soundtrack to Phantom Menace), and thought it would make great music for a film version.

I've been listening to Greg Laswell, and though I didn't read much of Spin with it, I did read the book at roughly the same time I was listening to the CD, and the song Come Undone, one of the highlights of his album, Through Toledo, makes me think strongly of the book. I don't know why, but it creates an unusual effect whenever I listen to that song.

Try listening to some song while you read and see how it feels when you listen to that song, whether it makes you remember key passages of a novel.

No comments: