Monday, July 10, 2006

Federer and Borg

Roger Federer played a familiar foe in Rafael Nadal. Federer's appearance in the final was expected. Nadal's was not. Nadal started off the first set much as he did in the French. He lost 6-0. However, he kept the second set quite close, just like the French.

Had he managed to knot the match at one set apiece, we would have really had an opportunity to see if Federer could mentally stay on top of Nadal. Unlike the French, Nadal found it hard to keep his shots under control. On a surface that should have greatly favored Federer, Nadal hung pretty tough.

He took sets 2 and 3 to tiebreaks, lost set 2 and won set 3, before bowing out meekly in the fourth.

After watching this match, I think Nadal has what it takes to give Federer trouble, even on grass. Had he not made some wild out-of-control shots, I could see Nadal contending for Wimbledon. Nadal even had some decent volleys, though neither player came to net much, which is sad, given the state of men's tennis.

And this wasn't the ace-fest of most Wimbledons. They've slowed it enough that players have a chance to return many shots. Federer still served up a few, but really, Nadal had his chances.

I find that I no longer pay full attention when watching tennis. I end up surfing and blogging while I watch. I miss a lot, but I don't seem to mind.

No comments: